2005 Gold Proof 4 Sovereign Set Timothy Noad
A limited edition four coin Sovereign set featuring a one-year-only alternate reverse design.
Timothy Noad's Saint George
2005 marks one of the rare years that Benedetto Pistrucci's classic Saint George and the dragon reverse is replaced with an alternate design.
For 2005 Sovereigns, this historic motif was replaced with a very different Saint George, crafted by heraldic artist Timothy Noad. His reverse centres on a crusader shield with Saint George's Cross, which protects a sword-wielding Saint, about to strike a winged dragon. It's a modern, action-packed and dynamic design.
Noad's reverse is paired with Ian Rank-Broadley's depiction of Her Majesty the Queen. In use between 1998 and 2015, this fourth official effigy shows a greater degree or realism than its idealised predecessors. Broadley's initials - IRB - appear below Elizabeth II’s portrait on each of the Sovereigns in this set.
Four Gold Proof Sovereigns
The 2005 Sovereign proof set includes four gold coins:
- The 2005 Half Sovereign composed of 3.99 grams of 22 carat gold
- The 2005 ‘full’ Sovereign: 7.98 grams or .24 of a Troy ounce of gold
- The 2005 Double Sovereign or Two Sovereign piece, weighing 14.96 grams
- The 2005 Five or Quintuple Sovereign, weighing 39.9 grams
All the coins in this set are struck to proof standard with specially prepared dies for a flawless finish.
Quarter Sovereigns were only added to the Sovereign 'family' in 2009 so this set does not include one.
Only 2,500 four coin Sovereign sets were offered by The Royal Mint in 2005.
A Limited Edition Investment
Your 2005 four coin Sovereign set is presented in its original green leather, velvet lined box from The Royal Mint. The Sovereigns, still sealed in their capsules, are accompanied by a numbered certificate of authenticity, confirming that this set is one of only 2,500 available from this year.
We have a range of alternate options if you are considering a 2005 Sovereign set:
- 2005 proof full Sovereigns are available individually in presentation packaging
- We also offer top-grade bullion 2005 Sovereigns which feature the same alternate reverse
- 2005 Half Sovereigns, graded about Extremely Fine or better are a great way to acquire a coin from this year
- 2012 Sovereigns also feature an alternate, Saint George-inspired reverse design, crafted by Paul Day
All Sovereigns, including those struck in 2005, are exempt from Capital Gains Tax as UK legal tender and free from VAT in the UK and EU as investment grade gold.
We are always proud to show off our previous customers experiences with you and what they thought of our purchasing through with Britannia Coins.