2021 Saint Helena Three Graces One Ounce Silver Proof Coin
Own William Wyon's 1817 Three Graces with this remarkable 1oz silver proof reproduction from The East India Company.
1oz Silver Proof 2021 Three Graces St Helena Coin
- OBVERSE Portrait of Queen Elizabeth II wearing crown and necklace by Jody Clark. Legend around the effigy reads: 'ELIZABETH II · D · G · REGINA · F · D · ST. HELENA' with '1 POUNDS · 2021' below
- REVERSE Design inspired by William Wyon's Three Graces pattern coin. 'FOEDUS INVIOLABILE' around with 'EIC' mint mark to left
- SPECIFICATION Proof coin, struck in 31.10 grams of .999 fine silver. Diameter: 38.61 millimetres. Face value: £1 / One Pound
- PRESENTATION One of just 3,000 issued by The East India Company. Comes in its original presentation box with a numbered certificate of authenticity and information booklet
Coins From The East India Company
Founded to explore the mysteries of the east, The East India Company is a byword for the age of sail and empire. Founded in England in 1600, the EIC accounted for more than half the world's trade by the mid-eighteenth century, dealing in silk, sugar, tea and opium.
Since 2012 The East India Company has been minting collectible coins in partnership with the issuing authority of the island of Saint Helena and with the royal approval of Queen Elizabeth II. Struck in extremely limited numbers and to an impeccable standard, coins from The East India Company often feature reproductions of sought-after heritage designs.
You will be able to recognise a modern East India Company coin by the unique 'EIC' mint mark and the alternate portrait of Her Majesty the Queen used on the obverse.
William Wyon's Famed Three Graces
The East India Company's 2021 Three Graces series represents an unmissable opportunity to own William Wyon's iconic, neoclassical design. Known for his 'Young Head' portrait of Queen Victoria, Wyon minted the Three Graces as a pattern coin in 1817, early in his career with The Royal Mint. Only about 50 specimens are known to have been struck, but the beauty and skill of the work gained the Three Graces a rightful reputation as a masterpiece of numismatic art.
The design features three classically garbed women, representing both the three graces of Greek mythology and, at the same time, England, Scotland and Ireland. You can read more about the history and symbolism of this timeless piece on our blog: The Three Graces by William Wyon: National Unity, Neoclassicism and Napoleon.
Wyon's engraving has been the subject of other reissues but The East India Company has made this design available again, using time honoured techniques to enable you to experience the glory of Three Graces for yourself.
The EIC Masterpiece Collection
These Three Graces coins are the first release The East India Company's new Masterpiece Collection: celebrating the best of historic coinage design. Subsequent issues have reinterpreted additional motifs by William Wyon, including the Gothic Crown and Una and the Lion.
Why choose a Masterpiece Collection coin? Here's a few reasons:
- A sold out reissue: If you missed out on The Royal Mint's Great Engravers series Three Graces, released in 2020, then the Saint Helena Three Graces represents an opportunity to add this design to your collection
- Limited mintages: All East India Company coins are minted in highly limited numbers. This exclusivity means they sell fast as collectors snap up new releases, particularly the very scarce gold issues
- Range of denominations: 2021 Saint Helena Three Graces coins are available in both gold and silver proof, with face values between One Pound and Five Pounds offering options for every budget
We've got a small number of these EIC coins available in gold and silver, as well as rare, graded examples. Read more about the range and find the full stock list on our blog: St Helena Three Graces: Introducing the Masterpiece Collection.
We are always proud to show off our previous customers experiences with you and what they thought of our purchasing through with Britannia Coins.