2017 Gold Proof 5 Sovereign Set 200th Anniversary
A five coin proof Sovereign set, issued to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the modern gold Sovereign, first struck in 1817.
200 Years of the Sovereign
Proof Sovereigns, struck in 2017 feature a historic reverse to celebrate the two hundredth anniversary of the modern Sovereign. These gold coins were introduced in 1817 after a major overhaul of British coinage.
The design recreates the original variant of Benedetto Pistrucci’s iconic Saint George motif, as used on the 1817 Sovereign. While most modern Sovereigns feature only the mounted patron saint, dragon and date to the reverse, the earliest Sovereigns enclosed this design within a stylised garter which reads: 'HONI · SOIT · QUI · MAL · Y · PENSE ·' ('shame on he who thinks evil of it').
This is paired with Jody Clark's portrait of Her Majesty the Queen: the fifth such official effigy used on her coinage. Unlike most Sovereigns the date appears on the obverse not the reverse.
Five Gold Proof Sovereigns
This 2017 proof set includes five 22 carat gold coins:
- 2017 proof Quarter Sovereign - 1.99 grams
- 2017 proof Half Sovereign - 3.99 grams
- 2017 proof 'full' Sovereign - 7.98 grams
- 2017 proof Double Sovereign or Two Sovereign piece - 14.96 grams
- 2017 proof Quintuple Sovereign or Five Sovereign coin - 39.94 grams
That equates to a total gold weight of 2.0599 Troy ounces for the entire five coin set.
Every coin is minted to flawless proof standard using a process that includes multiple strikes for a superior finish. The same garter reverse design appears across the set, scaled to the size of each piece.
Only 750 of these five coin sets were issued by The Royal Mint in 2017.
A Collectors Piece
This 2017 five coin proof Sovereign set is presented in its original high-shine wooden presentation box from The Royal Mint. The five coins are still sealed in their capsules and are accompanied by a numbered certificate of authenticity.
We have a range of alternative options if you're in the market for 2017 Sovereigns:
- The 2017 proof Sovereign is available separately with the same garter reverse
- Our high-grade 2017 bullion Sovereigns feature a special privy mark to celebrate the 200th anniversary
- The Royal Mint also offered a strike of the day brilliant uncirculated Sovereign in 2017
All Sovereigns, including those in the 2017 five-coin Sovereign set are exempt from Capital Gains Tax as UK legal tender and free from VAT in the UK and EU as investment grade gold.
We are always proud to show off our previous customers experiences with you and what they thought of our purchasing through with Britannia Coins.