2016 Elizabeth II 5 Coin Gold Proof Sovereign Set James Butler Portrait
* Images are of the actual product not stock images
A five-coin gold proof Sovereign set featuring a one-year-only obverse portrait.
James Butler's Birthday Portrait
2016 marked Her Majesty the Queen's 90th birthday and, to celebrate, gold proof Sovereigns minted in this year feature a special obverse. Bullion Sovereigns and other British money struck in 2016 show Jody Clark's effigy of Her Majesty the Queen, introduced the previous year. 2016 proof Sovereigns, however, feature a special portrait, designed by James Butler MBE RA.
A sculptor, known for his towering civic works, Butler has also designed a number of Royal Mint coins, including a 50p commemorating Roger Bannister's four-minute mile. This portrait of Elizabeth II, wearing the State Diadem, isn't his first. He was also responsible for the image of the Queen that appears on her Great Seal, adopted in 2001. Speaking of his effigy, Butler said:
‘I wanted to show a likeness of her, an affectionate image, as this was a celebration rather than a circulating coinage portrait.’
Butler's portrait is accompanied by the traditional image of Saint George and the Dragon. A perennial feature of the Sovereign since its inception, this reverse design is the work of Italian engraver, Benedetto Pistrucci.
Gold Proof Sovereign Set
This five coin set is the largest Sovereign set offered by The Royal Mint in 2016 and features all five coins in the 2016 Sovereign family, including:
- 2016 proof Quintuple Sovereign (Five Pound): the largest piece in the set weighing in at 39.94 grams of 22 carat gold
- 2016 proof Double Sovereign (Two Pound): this coin measures 28.40 millimetres across and contains 0.4708 troy ounces of gold
- 2016 proof 'full' Sovereign: 7.98 grams of 22 carat gold, the equivalent of .917 fineness
- 2016 proof Half Sovereign: half the weight of a ‘full’ Sovereign at 3.99 grams with a 19.30 milimeter diameter
- 2016 proof Quarter Sovereign: the smallest gold coin in the set weighing 1.997 grams with a 13.50 millimetre diameter
All the pieces in this set feature the James Butler portrait, paired with a St George and the Dragon reverse, scaled to the individual coins.
Limited Edition Presentation Set
Only 500 of these five coin Sovereign sets were issued in 2016.
This 2016 five-coin set is offered in pristine condition in its original packaging from The Royal Mint. This is composed of an outer box in maroon cardboard which contains a bespoke wood box. Each coin is individually encapsulated. A numbered certificate of authenticity is included.
All coins in this set are legal tender and are, as such, Capital Gains Tax free. They are also VAT exempt as investment gold.
We are always proud to show off our previous customers experiences with you and what they thought of our purchasing through with Britannia Coins.