2019 British Military Fifty Pence Five Coin Proof Set
Five military 50ps, reissued in a proof finish by The Royal Mint to mark 50 years since the first fifty pence pieces were issued.
Fifty Years of the 50p
2019 marked fifty years since the fifty pence piece first entered circulation. These seven-sided coins have been with us since 1969. Most of them these days feature a shield design but if you look carefully you’ll find a range of special reverses, often celebrating important events and anniversaries.
To commemorate the anniversary, The Royal Mint offered a range of commemorative sets, including the British Culture collection and a range of special issues in silver and gold. The British Military Set brings together five military-themed designs that have appeared on the 50p over the last five decades.
British Military Coins
The 2019 British Military Set contains five coins:
- The Battle of Hastings 50p, first issued in 2016 which commemorates the 950th anniversary of 1066 with a Bayeux Tapestry-inspired design
- A reissue of the 2015 75th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain 50p, showing pilots running to their planes.
- First issued in 1994, the 50th Anniversary of D-Day 50p shows Allied forces converging from air and sea. This design has been resized to fit the slightly smaller 50p specification introduced in 1997
- Claire Aldridge's 2006 150th Anniversary of the Victoria Cross design which shows the decoration with the date it was instituted: 29 January 1856
- Clive Duncan's alternate Victoria Cross commemorative 50p - also issued in 2006 - which depicts a soldier carrying a wounded comrade
Each coin shows Jody Clark’s portrait of Her Majesty the Queen to the reverse along with the date: 2019.
Collectible Proof Coins
All these 50 pence pieces are struck to proof standard on cupronickel. You’ll find they have a finer finish than the coins you get in your change. They are, however, legal tender and boast the same dimensions as their circulating counterparts: they measure 27.30 millimetres across and each weigh 8.00 grams.
Only 3,500 of these British Military Sets were issued in 2019 by The Royal Mint.
The five coins are presented in a clear plastic sheet case, within an attractive, velvet lined leather presentation folder. Also in the box: an information booklet and a numbered certificate of authenticity, confirming that this set is one of only 3,500 issued.
We are always proud to show off our previous customers experiences with you and what they thought of our purchasing through with Britannia Coins.