2022 Annual 5 Coin Gold Proof Set Platinum Jubilee
One of only 100 issued, this gold proof annual set celebrates Her Majesty the Queen's Platinum Jubilee.
The Platinum Jubilee Year
In February 2022, Her Majesty the Queen will mark her Platinum Jubilee. This will be the first time that a British monarch has celebrated seventy years on the throne. She succeeded her father on 6 February 1952 and was crowned later the same year.
A range of public events are already planned for the Platinum Jubilee, including a special four-day bank holiday (eagerly anticipated in The Britannia Coin Company office).
The Royal Mint, however, are getting ahead of the curve with jubilee commemorations. They’ve already issued a commemorative Sovereign and now they’ve revealed annual coinage sets for 2022 featuring two jubilee-inspired designs and three new commemorative pieces.
Five New 2022 Coins
There's five gold proof coins included in this 2022 annual set:
- 2022 Platinum Jubilee £5 Crown: Featuring a decorative shield of royal arms reverse by John Berghdahl, the Five Pound piece celebrates Her Majesty's long reign with the edge inscription: 'Serve you all the days of my life'
- 2022 Dame Vera Lynn Memorial £2: This Two Pound coin shows a youthful portrait of the English singer and entertainer, known for her wartime hits and charity work. Lynn sadly passed away in 2020 at the age of 103
- 2022 Alexander Graham Bell Telephone £2: A century after his death, this Two Pound coin celebrates Scottish-born inventor, Alexander Graham Bell’s most famous invention: the first telephone, with a keypad design by Henry Gray
- 2022 Platinum Jubilee 70th Anniversary 50p: A minimal '70' design by Osbourne Ross features on the reverse of this commemorative Fifty Pence piece with a royal cypher and anniversary dates in the zero
- 2022 Birmingham Commonwealth Games 50p: The XXII Commonwealth Games will open in Birmingham in summer 2022 and this geometric Fifty Pence design by Natasha Preece which also shows the Games' arrow logo
Jody Clark's Portrait
Individually presented gold proof Fifty Pence pieces and Crown coins have been offered with a unique equestrian obverse design, reminiscent of the image that appeared on the obverse of 1977 and 2002 Crowns (issued in the Silver Jubilee and Golden Jubilee years respectively). This image by John Bergdahl is not used for the coins in this set which all feature Jody Clark's official coinage portrait of Her Majesty the Queen, in use since 2015. This set is the only way to acquire these two gold proof coins with Clark's reverse.
This five-coin set is among the most limited of those issued for 2022. Each coin is struck in 22 carat gold. That means the set contains over 94 grams of pure gold.
A maximum of 100 of these gold annual sets have been offered by The Royal Mint.
These five coins are all UK legal tender so, as such, are exempt from Capital Gains Tax (CGT). As they're composed of investment grade gold, they are also VAT free. The set is offered in a bespoke presentation case alongside an information booklet and a numbered certificate of authenticity.
We are always proud to show off our previous customers experiences with you and what they thought of our purchasing through with Britannia Coins.