2019 British Military Fifty Pence Five Coin Gold Proof Set
Limited edition gold proof British Military Fifty Pence set.
Fifty Years of the 50p
2019 marked fifty years since the fifty pence piece first entered circulation. These seven-sided coins have been with us since 1969. Most of them these days feature a shield design but if you look carefully you’ll find a range of special reverses, often celebrating important events and anniversaries.
To commemorate the anniversary, The Royal Mint offered a range of commemorative sets, including the British Culture collection and a range of special issues in silver and gold. The British Culture Set brings together five military-themed designs that have appeared on the 50p over the last five decades.
Five British Military Coins
The 2019 British Military Set contains five coins:
- The Battle of Hastings 50p, first issued in 2016 which commemorates the 950th anniversary of 1066 with a Bayeux Tapestry-inspired design
- A reissue of the 2015 75th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain 50p, showing pilots running to their planes.
- First issued in 1994, the 50th Anniversary of D-Day 50p shows Allied forces converging from air and sea. This design has been resized to fit the slightly smaller 50p specification introduced in 1997
- Claire Aldridge's 2006 150th Anniversary of the Victoria Cross 50p design which shows the decoration with the date it was instituted: 29 January 1856
- Clive Duncan's alternate Victoria Cross commemorative 50p - also issued in 2006 - which depicts a soldier carrying a wounded comrade
Each coin shows Jody Clark's portrait of Her Majesty the Queen to the reverse along with the date: 2019.
Gold Proof Coins
All these 50 Pence pieces are struck in 22 carat gold. Each weighs 15.50 grams giving the set a total gold weight of 77.50 grams which equates to 71.04 grams of pure gold. Each coin has a dimeter of 27.30 millimetres and is struck to The Royal Mint's finest proof standard meaning you can enjoy the fine detail of these designs.
Just 75 of these gold proof British Military sets were issued in 2019 by The Royal Mint.
The five coins are presented in an attractive wooden box, lined with velvet. Also in the box: an information booklet and a numbered certificate of authenticity, confirming how scarce this collectors set is.
We are always proud to show off our previous customers experiences with you and what they thought of our purchasing through with Britannia Coins.