1911 George V 10 Coin Proof Set PF65/PF66
* Images are of the actual product not stock images
A graded 1911 ten-coin proof set, struck for George V's coronation.
George V's Coronation
George V acceded to the throne on the death of his father, Edward VII in 1910. George’s coronation took place in Westminster Abbey on 22 June 1911 and its for this event that this commemorative proof set was issued by the Royal Mint.
The 1911 coronation is one of only four such events held in the twentieth century and was attended by representatives of the great continental European empires. Uncrowned royal fans could attend the the Festival of Empire exhibition which opened in the weeks before the coronation.
Bertram Mackennal's Portrait
All the coins in this ten-piece set bear the moustachioed portrait of George V used on his coinage from 1911 to 1928. It's the work of Sir Edgar Bertram Mackennal whose initials - BM - can be seen on the truncation of the king's neck.
Mackennal also designed George's Coronation Medal and adapted his coinage portrait for postage stamps. The king liked his work and commissioned several larger sculptural works from the artist who was knighted in 1921: the first Australian artist honoured in this way.
Graded 1911 Proof Set
The coins in this set have all been professionally graded, achieving 65 or 66 with several pieces characterised as 'Cameo' indicating mirrored fields and contrasting frosted devices.
The individual grades are as follows:
- 1911 George V Gold Sovereign : NGC PF 65 Cameo
- 1911 George V Gold Half Sovereign : NGC PF 66
- 1911 George V Silver Half Crown : PCGS PR65CAM
- 1911 George V Silver Florin : PCGS PR65
- 1911 George V Silver Shilling : PCGS PR66CAM
- 1911 George V Silver Sixpence : PCGS PR66
- 1911 George V Silver Maundy Fourpence : PCGS PR66
- 1911 George V Silver Maundy Threepence : PCGS PR65
- 1911 George V Silver Maundy Twopence : PCGS PR66
- 1911 George V Silver Mandy Penny : PCGS PR65
These coins comes with its red Royal Mint box of issue with gold lettering to the exterior reading 'SPECIMEN COINS 1911'.
We are always proud to show off our previous customers experiences with you and what they thought of our purchasing through with Britannia Coins.