2015 Queen Elizabeth II Gold Proof Five Sovereign Effigy Set Longest Reigning Monarch
Five coin Sovereign set featuring examples of the five coinage portraits used during the Queen's reign.
Longest Reigning Monarch
In September 2015, Elizabeth II became the longest reigning monarch in British history. She surpassed the record set by her great-great grandmother, Queen Victoria of 63 years and 216 days.
Through her reign, five different official portraits of Her Majesty the Queen have featured on her coinage. The effigies show the Elizabeth's progression from her accession at the age of 25 to her ninth decade.
The latest portrait, crafted by Jody Clark, came into use on British coinage in this special anniversary year, alongside a raft of Royal Mint commemorative coinage marking this ‘once in a lifetime’ occasion.
Five Gold Sovereigns
This set includes five gold Sovereigns, charting the seven decades of Elizabeth's reign with five distinct coinage portraits.
- Mary Gillick's youthful, laureate portrait of the new Queen, introduced for her coronation year: 1953
- Arnold Machin's elegant second definitive portrait, first used on new decimal coins of 1968 and on Sovereigns from 1974
- Raphael Maklouf's crowned, truncated portrait which featured on British coinage between 1985 and 1997
- Ian Rank-Broadley's mature, tiara-wearing portrait, introduced in 1998
- Jody Clark's fifth definitive portrait which first featured on coin issued in 2015
Collectors Sovereign Set
This presentation set includes bullion-grade examples of each effigy on a gold Sovereign. All feature the classic Saint George and the Dragon reverse, crafted for the first modern Sovereigns. With each struck in 7.98 grams of 22 carat gold, the total weight of the five coins is 39.90.
The date of the older Sovereigns in this set will vary though you are guaranteed one example of each obverse portrait.
Like all Sovereigns, the examples in this collectible set are exempt from Capital Gains Tax as UK legal tender and free from VAT in the UK and EU as investment grade gold.
We are always proud to show off our previous customers experiences with you and what they thought of our purchasing through with Britannia Coins.